Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Employed

Sometimes I feel like there are so many other things I should be doing.

Today I randomly started clicking through a popular job board for communication professionals, just to see what's out there. There's a lot. And there's a lot that I could really shine at, if I ever got the courage to leave my current (cushy) job.

I'm starting to think that 14 years with the same company is an awfully long time to be in one place. Not one job, mind you, I made a significant switch about halfway through - but still, that's quite a stretch. Maybe for our parents' generation, when I think job stability and tenure were considered attractive aspects of a successful career, working somewhere for a few decades was all that.
But I'm Generation X. I've got the itch.

Don't get me wrong -I really enjoy my job. I work at one of the most successful global companies in Israel, and I've stayed there this long because it is stable, it is convenient, the benefits are great, the people are nice, I'm well-respected. So why would I consider a change? (aside from the fact that the salary sucks) For a change, I say.

Is there a certain stage at which my creativity begins to stagnate? I felt it in my first job - regulatory paper pushing - the hours were very convenient for a young mother, but my brain literally turned into oatmeal. When the opportunity for change arose, I jumped at the chance, and helped create a platform for internal communications and intranet where there was none. But for how long? How far can it take me here?

The world is changing so rapidly, with so many amazing opportunities and tools, and a whole new way of communicating with each other. Web 2.0 is a mindset that I'm adopting, but one that is almost nonexistent in our organization. If I don't get out now, will I miss the boat? Should I be learning new skills to prepare me for the moment I do decide to jump?

Eventually, I will choose to scratch.

(Right after the next company-subsidized family vacation. And holiday gift. And after I get my shiny pen for 15 years of service.)

Really, I will.

No comments: